Getting Started with Google Apps for Education
After reviewing the following information and viewing the video please use your district issued Google Apps for Education credentials to sign-in.
Then complete the brief survey linked below.
Overview and Initial sign-in
Is Google Apps for Education different from a personal Google/gmail account?
- A personal Google/gmail account is intended for non-work related use
- Not FERPA compliant
- Not a place for creating, storing, or collaborating work related documents
- Students 13 and under cannot create personal Google/Gmail accounts (CIPA)
- Allows districts to automate the creation of user accounts for staff and students using existing district ID’s
- A safe and secure platform for online document creation and collaboration
- FERPA complient
- Should not be used to store or share confidential or sensitive material
- Streamlines the process of sharing content between staff and students
What will I need to get started?
- A modern web browser and internet connection
- A district issued Google Apps account
- your district e-mail address or district username
- a district issued temporary password (This will changed to a private password of your choosing after your initial sign-in)
- sent via e-mail
- generic password used by all to initiate account
- Google Chrome Browser or a modern web browser that runs automatic updates such as the most recent version of Firefox
- If you are using an older computer running Microsoft XP the installed version of Internet Explorer will not work with Google Apps for Education.
- While other modern browsers will work with Google Apps for Education the Chrome browser is generally considered the best option
- The Safari or Chrome browser on the iPad will also work for creating your account.
Signing in for the first time
- Open the Chrome browser (or Safari on the iPad) and go to http://drive.google.com
- Enter your district issued e-mail address (ex. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Scroll down through the Terms of Service and complete the CAPTCA code
- Select “I Agree...”
- Enter the temporary password given to you by the district
- Enter a new password of your choosing twice
- Google forces users to create a password that is at least 8 characters in length
- For password recommendations check out this post